Monday, November 5, 2012

New Experiences

New experiences are what excites a lot of soldiers about deploying.  So far, I've had a few new experiences, but the one I had today was quite a thrill.  We are still getting settled and organized here on the FOB, and often times that means someone has to do something they would never normally do, in order to get the mission accomplished.  

I was that person today.  

Because we had to get set up for the next round of troops coming in, the buses needed to be filled up with gas.  Because I was one of the few in the immediate area that could drive a manual transmission, I got chosen to help take the buses to the fuel point and back.  Yes, I got to drive a bus!  I've been trying to get licensed to drive a bus for quite sometime, but today, I actually got to drive one.  I know I know.  It doesn't seem so exciting, so I'll throw in a little extra spice.  The style of bus we use isn't your normal school bus, charter bus or transit bus.  What it is, however is an approximately 18'-20' long and 6' wide flat nosed bus.  It sounds and feels like it has two cylinders in the engine, and as I pointed out, was a stick shift.  It also had me driving.... wait for it..... on the right hand side of the vehicle.   That's right, I drove a stick shift, right side drive, local tour bus, on the right side of the road.  Close your eyes and imagine using the shifter with your left hand, your turn signal with your right hand, and being positioned closer to the shoulder of the road, rather than the center of the road.  Talk about an awkward feeling!  Nevertheless, the incredibly simple task was completed, and no pedestrians were injured.



I suppose in this time of homesickness, finding joy in the little things goes a long way!




2 comments:

  1. Was the clutch still on the left?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, oddly enough, the pedals are still in the same position, but everything else is mirrored.

      Delete