Sunday, November 18, 2012

After a Few Weeks

So, it has been a while since I’ve posted, and that is simply because we have been incredibly busy. My days start at 5:30 in the morning and usually don’t end until well after 9:30 or 10:00 pm. That’s not all bad though. So far it has helped to make the days pass with relative quickness. In this post, I’ll try to catch everyone up on what has happened through the last couple days.


My bus driving skills have gotten quite impressive, as that has been a constant tasking for me. I have used that opportunity to learn KAF. It is incredibly hard to learn a whole new place when everything looks the same and there are very few street signs, and loads of traffic, either on foot, on bicycles, in civilian vehicles and military vehicles. Luckily, I’ve been able to get my bearings and not get lost.

We are starting to get into the groove in the office. A lot of stuff to get organized, and a lot of forms and memos that have to get done. Adjusting what the previous unit was doing to fit into what we need to has proven to be the most difficult task. Although they have done a great job over the last 12 months, every leadership group is different, and we are in the painful process of changing everything to our way of doing things.

I got a couple packages in the mail last week. My wife and my mother-in-law sent me some goodies. Everyone here was a little jealous, but I was super excited. Having some of my guilty pleasures in my tight little room, make life a little more tolerable.

Now that the Army has released this info, I can talk about it also. Our brigade lost a soldier a few days ago. Although I did not know him, it doesn’t make it easy to handle. It makes you worry about a lot of things, but it does not make me question our mission here. Each soldier lost is sad, but if we were to simply leave, then each soldier lost would be in vain. I was impressed by the turnout to the ceremony. It wasn’t just US Army soldiers who showed up to honor him. It was Soldiers, Marines, Airmen and Seamen. Not only that, though, it was coalition forces as well. I shook hands with a couple guys from Romania and the UK, but there were more countries than just those two. It was a somber, respectful ceremony, but encouraging at the same time. We all know what we signed up for, and if in fact something were to happen to me, at least I know that my departure from Afghanistan will be treated with class, dignity, honor and respect. I know that won’t bring any additional comfort to my family, just as I’m sure it doesn’t help his, but it is nice to know.

Our Chaplain holds services every Sunday, and it’s nice to be able to go. I’ve been fortunate enough so far to get to play and sing during the worship portions of the service. I know I’m not the best guitar player, nor am I the best singer, but that is a great thing to look forward to each week. I am very thankful to the Chaplain for allowing me to do that. With today being the Sunday prior to Thanksgiving, the sermon was on giving thanks in all situations. It is hard to give thanks when you are thousands of miles from home, in a foreign country, you get no rest, and you miss your family. However, taking the time to stop and say “Thanks, God,” can change your day. After all, I wake up every morning, I get to talk to my wife almost every day, I get to eat a decent meal three times a day, and when payday comes, there is going to be money in the bank. I have a lot to be thankful for, no matter the situation.

1 comment:

  1. I for one appreciate your posting....We can all count our blessings and are never left wanting when we are grateful knowing God is in control....another day down and one day closer to you being home...just know that you are always in our prayers along with all the other troops there. Love you

    ReplyDelete