Tuesday, October 30, 2012

En Route

My unit is currently en route to Afghanistan.  Although I can't post the route we are taking, I figured I would use this airport's free WiFi as an opportunity to post a quick update.

Today has been a long hard day, with a lot more flying left to do.  This morning's goodbyes were tear filled, but also brought hope and excitement.  Knowing that deployment was inevitable, I'm glad it is getting taken care of now.  All I have to do is get this mission taken care of, and get back home.  I look forward to running back to the arms of my loving wife and adoring son.  Just typing that now makes me smile.

I think back to the words of my Drill Sergeants, and what they told me to get my head right with deploying and it is all coming true.  It is one of the most emotionally confusing times of my life.  If you ask if I am sad, scared, nervous, proud, happy, excited or ready, I can answer with certainty, "Yes".  Sad that I won't see my family for three-quarters of a year, nervous that I won't perform the way I expect myself to, proud that I get to wear this uniform and represent our country during a troubling time, happy that I get to do with confidence what most people are fearful to do, excited at the opportunities that these nine months will bring, and ready to do well.

I know that I have been trained well, a huge support system, and a faithful God.  Those three things give me the confidence to confront this deployment head on, and not flinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment