Sunday, October 28, 2012

Countdown

Apply to be a Chitika Publisher!

So the countdown has been going on for quite a while, and it is almost to zero.  I leave for Afghanistan in a matter of days.  I wish I could post publicly my exact date, but that is forbidden.  Just know that final preparations are underway.  The stress level is at its peak, and I am not sure how I'm going to handle saying goodbye.  I know 9 months is nothing in the grand scheme of life, but that doesn't make going away any easier.  It is my first deployment in my Army career, and no matter what anyone says to calm my nerves, I am uneasy.  I have confidence that I will be safe.  I'm trained well, and my battle buddies are trained well.  I have a relatively safe mission in comparison to others.  My uneasiness is simply that I am leaving behind a beautiful wife and young son.  Nothing will make this easy.

Nevertheless, I must go.  No one is twisting my arm.  I want to go.  There are plenty of soldiers who don't want to go, and either by troop cuts, pregnancy, injury, time of separation or other means, they aren't going.  That's not me.  I signed up in a time of war, and have been preparing myself for this since I was in Basic Training. My mind is right, and thanks to a wonderful wife, our family situation is absolute.

I look forward to the challenge, the experience, and the knowledge I'll gain.  I look forward to being proud of having done it.

Thank you in advance for the letters, care packages and prayers that you will send my way, and to the rest of my battle buddies.  They are all very much appreciated.

I will write more as time and policy permits, but in the meantime, know that I am ready.






No comments:

Post a Comment